I have this idea.
I want to work towards building out a Workshop that can build out a Workshop.
Following people on line I am seeing a useful gathering of people who are wanting to explore and equipe people in the skills they have.
I follow several WoodWorkers, and in their work they also make their own tools. Vice, Saw Bench, Planner, Pentagraph, Drill Press, Band Saw….
Part of the idea to do this is to get away from the overburdening of communities with helps and handouts.
People are infinitely ingenious, and our aid to them often destroys this. People are resilient, and far more capable than we give them merit. As outsiders looking in we can not understand or interpret what we see. So we just see chaos.
Rather than being teachers we need to become learners.
- I need to learn what they can already do.
- I need to learn their ways and reasons for doing a thing.
- Maybe I have something now to offer, but to not start with that nor transition to this too soon.
- To make tools together that the maker can own.
- If someone makes a tool, when they break the tool, they will be able to fix it.
Making a WorkShop
Some really useful plans from some great makers.
Pask Maker Youtube Plans